10 February 2010

That 70s Show

I absolutely love this picture.  I know that it can't really be the 70s because I'm at least 3 here but everything from my Mum's hair and the chunky pottery on the cabinets to my Dad's pint mug and massive watch is so deliciously retro in black and white, I feel like  English Heritage should just be able step in and list this moment in time.

My Dad used to lecture at an agricultural college and around Christmas each year, he invited his students to come to the house for festive celebrations.  I remember being hurried to bed that evening so my parents could get everything ready and lying awake hearing the knocks on the door as people started to arrive.  Never one to sleep through a good party, I think I must have been woken later on by the general sounds of merriment and I remember insisting that both Green Geoffrey and I be allowed out to say hello to everyone and join in the fun  One of the students must have taken this picture and given it to my Dad which is how it found its way into the family annals until it was liberated in honour of my 30th birthday. 

It's capturing and recording everyday moments like this which is the reason I photograph and scrapbook.  If this picture hadn't been taken, then the memory of that night might never have resurfaced and that's why I think it's so important to capture life's ordinary and extraordinary moments before they slip away for good.  In the end, what else do we have to show for our lives except a collection of memories to relive from our arm chairs in the old folks home and I want to make sure I have more than enough to keep me going well into my twilight years.

This picture and so many like it, deserve layouts all of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment