14 August 2009

It's Almost Here

There was an unmistakable scent of autumn in the garden this morning. Just the slightest trace hinting at the beginnings of decay perceptible beneath the fresh morning smell of the garden and the wood smoke lingering from last night’s bonfire. The heavy dew covering every surface seemed like a portent of the coming ground frosts and the bright berries forming on the shrubs and brambles were sparkling the early morning light, throwing the simple beauty of the changing seasons into sharp relief.

Sorry, came over a bit lyrical there but it was the first time I’d felt even slightly autumn-y this year (apart from that week a month or so back when I really wanted it to be Christmas) and so I wanted to make the most of the feeling.

I love autumn. I know lots of people don’t feel the same way, mourning the end of the summer and the nights drawing in but to me, autumn is the season of new coats and shoes, pencil cases and geometry sets, kicking around in the leaves and gathering conkers and chestnuts. Autumn means that we can get the thick comfy duvet back out and start scouring the hedgerows for bits of firewood. Autumn means that we can enjoy Devon’s beaches in the sunshine without queuing for hours to get there and autumn means that the good telly will start again and we can sit cosily in the sitting room with the fire blazing (assuming we find some wood) and the curtains shut tight.

I know it's nearly the end of summer but that means that autumn is almost here so I say smell it, embrace it and love it - I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment