04 November 2009

'You Must Remember This...'

This picture takes me right back to the winter of 2005/2005 when we'd just moved to Devon.  We were still exploring the local area and in those few magical free days between Christmas and new year, we ventured on to Dartmoor to enjoy the winter sunshine. The first few months after we moved were a bit of struggle for a number of reasons, but I remember this being the first time I was sure we'd made the right decision and that Devon was the right place for us to be. 

I love how tiny Elvie looks in this picture and how I'm bundled into my old university coat, because I couldn't afford a new one at the time.  This is the picture that Alistair has on his desk at work and so I know it holds happy memories for him too, although who knows?  That may be as much to do with the fact it preceeded our first taste of Molly Mac's ice cream (as much a Dartmoor institution as Hound of the Basketmeals) by just a couple minutes.  Now that's another very happy memory and maybe my story for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Dartmoor is lovely during the winter months, depsite the cold. We went for a lovely walk with Max between Christmas and New Year last year and it was wonderful - worked off the food excesses and breathed in the fresh air and made us realise how lucky we were to live so near to such beauty. So glad to hear you are really settled in Devon now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to live in such a wonderful place Polly. It's one of my faves! xxx

    ReplyDelete