05 November 2009

Current Sources of Fabulous-ness

A few things which are currently filling my world with light and happiness:

1.    Straight in at number one is the Twilight saga which has been occupying at least 75% of my brain at any given time since I first started to read it while we were on holiday – Alistair couldn’t understand why I suddenly had no interest in leaving the hotel whatsoever. I love stories that continue over multiple books anyway, but Twilight had taken it to a whole new level. I’m totally captivated by the beautiful love story surrounded by dark themes and gothic imagery, so much so that I found myself looking at Forks on Google Streetview to see if it might be a good place to go on our next holiday, although I was forced to conclude probably not. Needless to say, I’m completely in love with Edward Cullen and I can’t wait to see the film of New Moon which is out on the 20th November.

2.    The second thing I’m currently obsessed with is the Crabtree and Evelyn home fragrance in Noel which is only available for a few months of the year and as soon as I catch sight of the little red boxes on the shelf (I get the oil), I start hearing the jingle of sleigh bells and the rustle of wrapping paper inside my head. It smells of everything that is great about Christmas, a mixture of pine trees, satsumas, chocolate coins, mulled wine and mince pies and puts me in the festive mood whenever I come home to the scent of it. I buy mine from Place Settings in Topsham which is chock full of gorgeous things (as is Topsham itself for that matter) and well worth a visit if you’re in the Exeter area.

3.    On a more practical note, I’m totally in love with the little Innocent Veg Pots which I’ve been having for lunch the last few days. There’s a range of flavours but my favourites are the Indian daal and Moroccan giant couscous one and they’re full of lovely fresh veggies, beans and herbs and leave you with a full but virtuous feeling of being at one with nature and brimming with healthy loveliness. Essentially, they’re just grand.

4.    I’m not actually feeling super inspired in the crafty sphere right now, largely because of the state my dining table is in yet again but I’ve a very strong feeling that the imminent arrival of the Handwritten Fonts design card for my Slice will reawaken the slumbering beast of creativity because I do so adore handwriting fonts and can’t wait to be able to use them on my layouts and, with the added bonus of never ever running of Es (eek, nasty run on sentance). Making Memories have brought out lots of new design cards recently and other favourites include Farm Life, Mix and Mingle and Home Sweet Home(are you listening Santa?)


5.     Finally, and perhaps this should take it’s rightful place at number one, is this little fellow who we adopted from the Cats Protection League on Saturday, although we’ve only just lost out little Tessykins and still miss her dreadfully, we’re suckers for an emergency appeal for new homes and decided it couldn’t hurt to look, in case they had someone we thought would fit in with the rest of our furry (and feathery) family. I’d seen his profile on the internet before we left and planned to check him out, but I was not quite prepared for the huge, fluffy and purring ball which jumped into my arms as soon as I opened his window. It’s always heartbreaking to go to the CPL and pick one cat, when you have leave so many behind, but they’re so good at finding homes for them all we knew that he was the one for us.



He came in a from family who couldn’t afford to keep him because he’d been hit by a car and needed expensive surgery to pin his back leg in place and he’d been on cage rest for a couple of months before being available for adoption. I can safely say he is one of the softest, floppiest, cuddliest and most inquisitive cats I’ve ever met and he just follows us around the house trying to climb into various appliances and cupboards to see what’s going on. The other cats are still a little unsure of him and coming around very slowly, but Morrissey (we changed his name from Bandit) is taking it all in his stride.

This has gone on far too long now and I can’t imagine anyone is still reading. Hello? Anyone? Thought not. Anyway, because that was the day we got Mozzer (that seems to be what we’re calling him – all our animals have stupid nicknames – Elvie answers to the name Schnibble, Sophie is referred to as Snuffalupps, Clementine gets called Clomp or Wumpus and Tessy was always know as The Weasel), my Halloween pumpkin had a fairly dominant cat motif (i.e. was a cat) and this seemed like an appropriate arena in which to share it before I forget and Halloween becomes irrelevant (actually that may have happened already).



11 comments:

  1. I love Twilight too - looking forward to the film (although the Edward in my head is WAY more good looking than Robert Pattinson! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Cat Pumpkin... and love your new puss - he looks so relaxed in that picture.
    Funny how cats choose us. My mother's cat is from CPL too. We went to see her at her foster home and she went straight to my mum and made a huge fuss of her. Our own cat "adopted" us! He used to live next door, but shortly after we moved in here, our neighbour had her second baby girl. He apparently moved out when Baby 1 was born. This time he not only moved out of their house, but moved in with us. It was obvious he wanted to stay and everyone agreed it was kindest to let him. So he's still here, 3 years later, and we love him to bits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Polly, your writing always makes me smile, laugh or cry.. sometimes at the same time! Mozzer looks adorable - I hope the others fully accept him into the family soon, he sounds like a sweetie.

    SarahLP x

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the post!

    glad that sweet kitty found a great new home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Polly I love your blog and this post is no exception! The pumpkin is especially cute - but the new kitty even more so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list! And you have such a lovely blog. I am making a note to look for that scent in the stores - I am so excited for the Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new cat. He is a cutie.
    My daughter is totally smitten with the Twilight series too. I think she has read the entire series at least 3 times now. I'm surprised she hasn't asked me to buy tickets to the new movie opening yet, but I'm sure that request is coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still reading! I love your recommendations and I'm glad I stopped by. You'd recommend a Slice, then?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The new addition to your family is so sweet and he will have a great time in his new home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh Polly, Mozzer looks a fine addition to your clan, I'm sure he will get along with the others just fine! Haven't succumbed to the twilight scene - too busy I guess, and Robert P defo doesn't do it for me! Am off to hunt out that lovely C & E fragrance oil now, need some cheering up and a crimbo pong will do just the thing! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You kept me 'till the end Polly. I love your writing. Mozzer is a very happy puss 'cos he's found a perfect home!!!! I'm sure he'll fit in just fine. I like the look of your new font for the Slice. I have that on my birthday (it's a big one this time) list so expensive pressies are allowed I think!! I love fonts of all kind.

    Lisax

    ReplyDelete